I saw these adorable mini yellow toe capped boots recently on Pinterest and absolutely fell in love with them. Obviously, Skye needed a pair so I went to the website and saw that they cost $85! I’m not about to pay that much money for a pair of shoes that my two-year old will maybe wear for six months. Kind of bummed out about not getting them for Skye (damn you conscience) I remembered that about a year ago a girlfriend of mine gave me a box of her sons hand-me-downs. And there were a pair of brown leather ankle boots from Stride Rite in there so I was inspired to make a version of my own.
Directions to make your own down below
You will need:
- Leather Boots/Shoes
- Leather Paint or Nail Polish (white primer, color &clear coat)(I used nail polish & clear coat nail polish)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Nail Polish Remover
- Shoe Polish
- Paint Brushes
- Painters Tape
- Tape off the area that you won’t be painting
- Clean the area that will be painted with rubbing alcohol and let dry
- In short thin strokes paint a base coat (white) on the leather. This may take two thin coats of white to completely cover the leather
- Let dry over night
- In short thin strokes paint the color. I did three thin coats of yellow nail polish and I let each coat dry over night.
- Apply a thin clear coat of polish and let dry
- If there is any extra paint on the shoe you can remove it with a little nail polish remover on a Q-tip
- Apply shoe polish with a cloth to the rest of the shoe that wasn’t painted
Voila!!! Super amazing shoes for your toddler or for you! For me this cost about $10 which is way better than $85!