If you want to have a serous life changing experience then you need to try Harissa. Harissa is a North African condiment made with chilies and garlic and most importantly Cumin. I think Cumin has to be hands down my number one favorite spice Ever! I don’t even know where to being to describe the taste. Its earthy and nutty and spicy and smoky all at the same time. Its amazing.
This is my recipe for Harissa. I play it by ear sometimes and adjust the seasonings as I go along so feel free to do that as well.
- 1 bag of small chili peppers (4oz bag)
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 T cumin
- 2 tsp corriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of olive oil
- Remove the seeds from the chili peppers (this can be very tedious and make you sneeze)
- Put the chili peppers in a bowl and cover with hot water and let steep for 1 hour
- Strain the chili peppers pressing out any extra liquid and put in a food processor
- Peel an entire head of garlic and put in the food processor
- Add the spices, salt and olive oil
- Blend until you get a smooth consistency and adjust spices to your liking
This makes three cups of Harissa. I put mine in two 12 oz Ball Jars and gave one away as a gift. After each use of Harissa you can drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on the top to keep it from drying out.
I put Harissa on everything. Its great with eggs, potatoes or even mixed into tomato soup. Pretty much anything that you would put hot sauce on or want to add a kick to Harissa will be your go to spicy condiment. Trust me you’ll be addicted soon!